General Primary Election is June 12
MAY 18, 2018 — The general primary election in Virginia for the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate is June 12.
Staunton residents have until Monday to register to vote or update their registration. Absentee registration closes June 5 for voting by mail, fax or online and June 9 for in-person voting.
The Staunton registrar’s office will be open on from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on June 9, which is a Saturday, for in-person absentee voting.
Candidates for the general primary are:
U.S. House of Representatives, Sixth District
Democratic Party Primary
- Sergio A. Coppola II
- Jennifer Lynn Lewis
- Peter J. Volosin
- Charlotte Ann Moore
The winner of this primary will run against a Republican candidate selected during a convention of the Sixth Congressional District Republican Committee this Saturday.
Republican Party Primary
- Corey A. Stewart
- Nick J. Freitas
- E.W. Jackson
The winner of this primary will run against incumbent Democratic Senator Tim Kaine.
Residents can locate their voting ward online or call the registrar’s office for assistance at 540.332.3840.
In order to vote:
- Your home must be in Virginia.
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- You must be 18 years of age or will be 18 by the next general election. (You may register when you are 17.)
- If you have been convicted of a felony, your right to vote must be restored.
- If you have been judged by a court to be mentally incompetent, your right to vote must be restored.
- You must not claim the right to vote in another state.
Below are several other resources to assist with the voting process:
- Check voter registration
- Our voting equipment
- Restoration of rights
- Voter rights and responsibilities
Please contact the Staunton registrar at 540.332.3840.