UPDATED: Get DMV Services at City Hall May 20
Correction Note: This story was updated on Wednesday, May 8 to include clarifying information and corrections regarding REAL ID. Please see the latest information provided below under "Get a REAL ID."
MAY 6, 2019 — Skip the line at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and come to City Hall in Staunton instead on May 20.
The DMV Connect mobile team will be at City Hall, 116 W. Beverley St., from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., May 20 to provide nearly all regular DMV services. The only services that won’t be provided are testing and access to vital records.
DMV Connect makes DMV services more accessible and efficient by bringing them to the community. The DMV’s mobile team will offer Staunton residents the following services on May 20:
- Drivers’ licenses (including REAL ID)
- Identification cards (adult and child)
- Handicapped parking placards
- Vehicle titles
- Address changes
- Vehicle registration
- Hunting and fishing licenses
- E-ZPass transponders
- Compliance summaries
Get a REAL ID
Beginning October 1, 2020, federal officials will require state-issued driver’s licenses or IDs presented to board a domestic flight or enter a secure federal facility or military base to be REAL ID compliant. Several other forms of ID, including a U.S. passport, passport card and some military IDs, will also be accepted for federal identification.
Residents will have the option to upgrade their driver’s license or identification card to a REAL ID compliant license or ID card at DMV Connect.
A REAL ID license or ID card does not take the place of a U.S. passport for international travel. The ID will serve as a federally accepted form of identification for entering federal facilities and boarding domestic flights, which will be required beginning October 1, 2020. A REAL ID will also continue to serve as identification for driving, voting, and identity verification at banks, stores and utility companies, just as a regular driver’s license or ID card.
There is a one-time cost of $10, plus standard driver’s license or ID card fees, to obtain a REAL ID.
Applicants for a REAL ID must bring the following materials to apply:
- Proof of identity and legal presence. For example, an official birth certificate or a valid U.S. passport. The certificate must be from a state vital records department, not a document from a hospital with newborn footprints.
- Proof of any name changes. If the name on your identity document is different than your legal name, you must show proof of your name change, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order.
- Proof of social security number. You must bring your social security card, W-2, 1099 or an official letter from the Social Security Administration (SSA) with your full social security number on the letter. Forms that you submit to the IRS that include your social security number, such as a 1040 tax form, will not be accepted.
- Two proofs of Virginia address. Bring a valid driver’s license or ID card with a current address and a statement or mailing with your name and address on it, such as a utility bill or mortgage statement.
For a complete list of accepted documents, visit dmvNOW.com/REALID.
Ruth Jones Turner