Start a Business

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Contact Us

Commissioner of Revenue
City Hall
116 W Beverley Street
P.O. Box 4
Staunton, Va 24402
Phone: 540.332.3829

Download this information as a brochure.


Register a Partnership or Trade Name

You must register partnerships and trade names with the Clerk of the Circuit Court. A small fee is required. For information contact:

Clerk of the Circuit Court
3rd floor of the City Courthouse

Register a Corporation

All corporations conducting business in Virginia must be registered with the State Corporation Commission.

State Corporation Commission
PO Box 1197
Richmond, Virginia 23209

Apply for an Occupancy Permit

You may be required to have an occupancy permit issued by the Zoning Administrator. If a certificate is required, the Zoning Administrator, Inspection Division, and the Planning Department will give the requirements for the proposed use and make arrangements for the required field inspection, or direct the applicant to the appropriate agency or office. The filing fee varies with the type of application. If you work out of your home you may be required to have a home occupation permit. For more information contact:

Office of the Building Official
Staunton, VA. 24402

Federal Employee Identification Number

Every Employer is required to have a FEIN. To apply for the number, file federal form SS-4, which may be obtained from the office of the Commissioner of Revenue or can be downloaded at

Contact the IRS by telephone: 800.829.1040.

Employee Income Taxes

Employers are required to withhold Social Security (FICA) taxes from the wages of employees. You are liable for the taxes whether or not they have been collected. You are also required to withhold income taxes for your employees.

Unemployment Tax

This tax also known as FUTA, is assessed on the employer only. An annual return, Form 940, must be filed by January 31. You can make quarterly deposits to any authorized bank using Form 8109.

Individual, Partnership & Corporate Income Tax

You must also file individual (for the sole proprietor, Schedule C), partnership and corporate income taxes with the IRS. Internal Revenue Service Publication 334, Tax Guide for Small Business, dis- cusses all of the above taxes in more detail.

Virginia Income Taxes

The State income tax is based on the Federal in- come tax return. The Commissioner of the Revenue provides assistance to City of Staunton taxpayers in filing individual State income tax returns. Returns and instructions are available in the Commissioner of Revenue Office.

For state income and sales tax information, please visit

State taxes are due May 1. 

Retail Sales Tax

Every individual, partnership, corporation, etc. engaging in business as a retail dealer in Virginia is required to register with the Department of Taxation, P O Box 6-L Richmond, VA. 23282 to obtain a Certificate of Registration. Dealers are required to collect the retail sales tax, make regular deposits, and file the appropriate reports.

Local Taxes

Meals Tax

Every restaurant, caterer, operator of convenience store(s) or grocery delicatessen(s), being individual, partner- ship, corporation, etc., engaged in the business of selling meals is required to register with the Commissioner of Revenue, collect the tax and file the appropriate returns.

Transient Occupancy Tax

Every hotel, motel, bed & breakfast, or other lodging place that, for compensation, furnishes lodging to any transients shall levy on each and every transient, the appropriate tax. Those entities collecting such tax shall register with the Commissioner of the Revenue and file the proper returns.

Business License Tax

The Commissioner of the Revenue assesses the Business, Professional, and Occupational License. Most license taxes are levied upon the gross receipts and the rate varies with the type of business you intend to engage in. To avoid penalties and interest, you are required to file an application within 30 days of when you begin to conduct business. The license is renewable each year on or before March 1.

Business Tangible Personal Property Tax

The City of Staunton levies a tax on tangible personal property employed in a trade or business (furniture, fixtures, machinery, and tools). A return must be filed, with the Commissioner of the Revenue, that itemizes personal property and/or equipment employed in the business, giving the date of acquisition and original acquisition costs. You must file the return by May 1. Payment is due by Dec. 5.

Vehicle Personal Property Tax

Every person or business owning a motor vehicle will be assessed annually on the retail value of all vehicles garaged in Staunton. For automobile assessments, the NADA used car guide will be used in most cases.

Alcoholic Beverage License

The ABC exercises control over the importation and sale of alcoholic beverages. The ABC issues licenses for the manufacture, wholesale and retailing of spirits, wine and beer. For information contact:

Virginia ABC
464 Commerce Square
Staunton, Virginia 24401

Worker's Compensation

Any employer who has three or more regular employees is required to furnish workers’ compensation insurance coverage, at no cost to the employees. The insurance may be purchased through a private insurance company or the employer can apply to the Industrial Commission to be a self-insurer.

For information contact:

Virginia Worker’s Compensation Commission
PO BOX 1794
Richmond, Virginia 23214-1794

Staunton Downtown Development Association

The Staunton Downtown Development Association is a nonprofit association established to enhance downtown Staunton's economic environment as a center of commerce while maintaining the character and integrity of the City's central business district as an attractive place to live, work, and visit.

PO BOX 201
Staunton, VA. 24402

Staunton Enterprise Zone

Staunton has a designated Virginia Enterprise Zone which encompasses most of the central business district and the West Beverley Street corridor. The Enterprise Zone pro- gram provides local and state tax and fee incentives to new or expanding business. To find out if your business qualifies, and how to apply for the program contact:

Amanda H. DiMeo
Department of Economic Development
City Hall, 3rd floor

To obtain demographic and market data; information on business sites or locations; sources for business
incentive programs; business and industry assistance, and tourism facts and figures, contact:

Dept. of Economic Development
116 West Beverley Street, 3rd Floor
Staunton, VA. 24401

Need Help Getting Started?

Contact the Staunton Creative Community Fund (SCCF)  for business planning, counseling and funding:

10 Byers Street
Staunton, VA 24401


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer