The City Attorney, Douglas L. Guynn, generally is responsible for the overall control and management of all legal business of the City and is an adviser to the Mayor, City Council, City Manager and various boards and departments of the City. Mr. Guynn also serves as general counsel to the Staunton School Board. The City Attorney's Office does not advise private citizens on legal matters; citizens and others should consult with their own legal counsel and may consider the legal resources listed below.
As City Attorney, Mr. Guynn monitors and guides legal work performed by outside legal counsel, including legal counsel retained by the City's legal risk management program and other City-engaged outside counsel. Although the City Attorney does advise on some criminal law facets of City law enforcement operations, the Commonwealth Attorney is responsible for prosecuting criminal matters and advising the City’s police department on criminal law procedures.
The City Attorney's office includes a paralegal, Robin Wallace. Under the direction of the City Attorney, she works in close collaboration with the City Manager and City departmental directors and with the office of the division superintendent of Staunton City Schools.
Pending Legal Proceedings
Like any other municipality, despite legal risk management to avoid claims and litigation, the City may have litigation pending at various times. See below for selected references in City litigation and other matters:
- Bill of Particulars: City of Staunton, Virginia v. Carter Thompson
- Illegal Wall on North Augusta Street
Citizens seeking legal assistance may contact the following:
- Blue Ridge Legal Services, 540.433.1830
- Virginia Lawyer Referral Service, 804.775.0808 or 1.800.552.7977 (toll-free)
- Virginia State Bar Pro Bono, 804.775.0500
- Virginia Military and Veteran Legal Resource Guide, 804.371.2683
- Staunton Circuit Court, 540.332.3874
- Staunton General District Court, 540.332.3878
- Staunton Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court, 540.245.5306
- Virginia Judicial System
- Virginia Supreme Court
- Augusta Bar Association
Local & State Ordinances and Regulations
- Staunton City Code
- Code of Virginia
- Virginia Administrative Code
- Virginia Attorney General
- Virginia General Assembly
- Virginia Government
- Virginia Conflict of Interests Act Advisory Council
- Virginia Freedom of Information Advisory Council
These links are provided for citizens as a convenience and for informational purposes only. They do not create an attorney-client relationship, do not constitute legal advice, and do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Staunton City Attorney's Office of any of the products, services or opinions of the organization or individual. The City Attorney's Office bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.