The Treasurer collects personal property and real estate taxes and utility bill and parking ticket fees.
Real estate and personal property taxes and utility bills can be paid online with a credit or debit card. The City utilizes a third-party, secure online payment service to collect online payments. Please select the link below for the bill you would like to pay:
- Pay real estate tax
- Pay personal property tax*
- Pay utility bill
- Parking tickets cannot be paid online but can be mailed, paid in person or paid via City drop box.
*Online payment of personal property taxes requires a web user account. Once you have created a web user account, you will be able to link your personal property account(s) to this newly created web user account. If you are unable to view your linked accounts, please log off and then log back on to the "web user account.”
Pay by Phone
Real estate and personal property taxes and utility bills can be paid via phone with your credit card by calling 1.888.272.9829. Here are a few things you need to know:
- We accept Discover, Visa, MasterCard and American Express.
- You will not be charged a convenience fee by the service provider for this payment method.
- This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
To make a successful payment by phone, follow these instructions:
- Select Option 3 when prompted
- Enter Jurisdiction Code 1038
- Enter “1” for personal property, “2” for real estate, or “3” for a utility bill
- Next, enter the invoice number, the amount you are paying, your credit card number and the expiration date of your credit card.
- The system will give you a verbal receipt number. Please save the receipt number for future reference. Payments will be posted on the next business day.
Pay by Mail
All payments are accepted by mail. Please send to:
City of Staunton
Richard R. Johnson, Treasurer
P.O. Box 474
Staunton, VA 24402-0474
Pay In Person
You may pay taxes at the Treasurer’s office on the first floor of City Hall. The Treasurer's office is open from 8:30 a.m to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Utility bill payments can be made at the Utility Desk at the back of the first-floor lobby of City Hall. Payments are accepted at the Utility Desk from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The City cannot accept debit and credit card payments in person. However, debit and credit card payments can be made online or by phone. If you plan to pay your bill with a larger-than-normal amount of coins, please read our coin acceptance policy.
Pay Via Drop Box
The City also maintains a green drop box available 24 hours on Central Avenue under the clock tower. Taxes, utility bills and parking ticket payments can be dropped in the box. Payments must be check or money order only. A drop box is available at Public Works for utility payments only.