Property owners who are age 65 and older or, if under 65, are permanently and totally disabled, may qualify for real estate tax relief. Check our frequently asked questions to determine whether you are eligible.
What criteria must I meet to qualify?
Applicants must meet five general eligibility requirements to qualify:
- The title to the property is held or partially held by the person claiming the exemption as of January 1 of the year for which the exemption is claimed.
- The dwelling for which the exemption is claimed is occupied as the sole dwelling of the claimant.
- The head of the household claiming the exemption is 65 or older as of December 31 of the preceding year, or, if under 65, is permanently and totally disabled as of that date.
- The gross combined income from all sources of the owner(s) of the dwelling living therein and of his relatives living in the dwelling, for the preceding calendar year, does not exceed $30,000 provided, however, that the first $2,500 of income from such relatives, other than the spouse, is not included.
- The net combined financial worth of the owner and spouse, including equitable interests, but not including the value of the dwelling and up to one acre of land, as of December 31, does not exceed $62,500.
How much is my deduction?
Using the table below, you can determine the amount of exemption for which you would be eligible. Align the amount of your "Gross Combined Income" in the left column, with the amount of your "Net Combined Financial Worth" along the top to find the percentage of your real estate taxes that would be exempt.
|$18,001 - 21,000||85%||75%||65%||55%||50%||45%||40%|
|$21,001 - 24,000||70%||60%||55%||50%||45%||40%||35%|
|$24,001 - 27,000||50%||45%||40%||35%||30%||25%||20%|
|$27,001 - 30,000||35%||30%||25%||20%||15%||10%||5%|
How do I apply?
You can download the application or visit the Commissioner of Revenue’s office on the first floor of City Hall, 116 W. Beverley Street to apply in person. The deadline to apply is May 1.
Are there any other requirements I must meet?
There are other provisions of the program that could affect your ability to acquire and maintain eligibility. Please contact the Commissioner of the Revenue’s office at 540.332.3829 for details.