Thank you for choosing Staunton as the location to start your business! To get started, read our new business brochure and learn how to register your business name, apply for permits, pay taxes, obtain the appropriate licenses and learn more about business resources in Staunton.
Get a Business License
As required by Article II. Business, Professional and Occupational Taxes of the Staunton City Code, businesses must adhere to the following regulations:
5.05.170 License Fee and Tax
Every person or business subject to licensure under this chapter shall be assessed and required to pay annually:
- Except as may be otherwise provided in Sections 58.1-3712, 58.1-3712.1 and 58.1-3713 of the Code of Virginia, every such person or business shall be assessed and required to pay annually a license tax on all the gross receipts of such persons includable as provided in this chapter at a rate set forth below for the class of enterprise listed:
- For contractors and persons constructing for their own account for sale, $0.16 per $100.00 of gross receipts;
- For retailers, $0.20 per $100.00 of gross receipts;
- For financial, real estate and professional services, $0.40 per $100.00 of gross receipts;
- For repair, personal and business services and all other businesses and occupations not specifically listed or exempted in this chapter or otherwise by law, $0.36 per $100.00 of gross receipts;
- For wholesalers (based on purchases at cost):
- Zero dollars to $10,000 – $100.00 tax;
- Ten thousand one dollars to $50,000 – $100.00 tax plus $0.50 per $100.00 of purchases at cost exceeding $10,000;
- Fifty thousand one dollars and up – $300.00 tax plus $0.12 per $100.00 of purchases at cost exceeding $50,000.
“Homestay” means the use of a residential dwelling unit or a portion thereof for occupancy for lodging purposes in exchange for charge for occupancy. The duration of any period of occupancy may not exceed 30 days; however, there shall be no limit to the frequency in which rentals to occupants may occur.
Business Personal Property Tax
The City of Staunton levies a tax on tangible personal property employed in a trade or business, including furniture, fixtures, equipment, machinery, tools, etc.
A list of fixed assets itemizing all property (including all fully depreciated items) must be submitted. This annual business personal property tax return must be filed with the Commissioner of the Revenue by May 1st.
First-time filers can use the 2018 Business Personal Property Form. If your business has filed a form before, a prior year asset list will be sent to you in late March.
The payment date of business tangible personal property tax is December 5th.