The City collects tax revenue to maintain and build infrastructure and to provide citizens with both necessary and discretionary services, such as education, public safety, parks and leisure amenities and the public library.
The Commissioner of Revenue calculates the value of personal property, business personal property and machinery and tools and processes state income tax returns. The Treasurer collects and receives tax revenue for the City and also collects state funds as directed in the Code of Virginia.
Local and State Taxes
- Personal Property Tax: $2.90 per $100 of assessed value
- Real Estate Tax: $0.95 per $100 of assessed value
- Machinery & Tools Tax: $1.24 per $100 of assessed value
- Retail Sales Tax (state): 5.3%
- Staunton Meals Tax: 7%
- Transient Occupancy Tax: 6.7%
- Cigarette Tax: $0.30 on each package containing 25 or fewer cigarettes
- Business License Tax
- Short-Term Tax
Tax Due Dates
- Real Estate Tax: June 20, ¾ due; Dec. 5, ¼ due
- Personal Property Tax: Dec. 5 for residents and businesses
- Personal Property Tax Return: May 1 for businesses
- State Income Tax: May 1
- Business License Tax: March 1
- State Estimated Tax: May 1, first quarter; June 15, second quarter; Sept. 15, third quarter
Five Ways to Pay Taxes
The Treasurer collects and receives tax revenue for the City. The City provides five ways to pay personal property and real estate taxes:
1. Pay Online
Pay by credit or debit card via our online payment service. No additional fees apply.
*Online payment of personal property taxes requires a web user account. Once you have created a web user account, you will be able to link your personal property account(s) to this newly created web user account. If you are unable to view your linked accounts, please log off and then log back on to the "web user account.”
2. Pay By Phone
Call 1.888.272.9829. Read instructions for this payment method.
3. Pay In Person
Visit the Treasurer’s Office on the first floor of City Hall, 116 W. Beverley Street, between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Only cash and checks are accepted in person.
4. Pay by Drop Box
Drop your check or money order in the City’s green drop box located on Central Avenue under the clock tower or inside of City Hall in front of the Treasurer’s office during business hours.
5. Pay By Mail
Check or money order made payable to the City of Staunton can be mailed to:
City of Staunton
Richard R. Johnson, Treasurer
P.O. Box 474
Staunton, VA 24402-0474
Tax Assistance & Resources
If you need assistance with paying your personal property or real estate taxes, please call 540.332.3833 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.