The City is required to develop, implement, and enforce an MS4 (Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System) Program to comply with coverage under General Permit No. VAR04, issued by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.
The MS4 Program must include an MS4 Program Plan that includes six minimum control measures and special conditions for the approved Chesapeake Bay TMDL (Total Maximum Daily Load).
Six minimum control measures of the program include:
- Public education and outreach
- Public involvement and participation
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- Construction site runoff control
- Post-construction runoff control
- Pollution prevention and good housekeeping
MS4 Program Plan and Annual Report
The City files an MS4 Program Plan and Annual Report with the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, which include detailed information on control measures, including objectives, expected results and implementation schedules.
- 2018 MS4 Permit Coverage Letter
- MS4 Program Plan 2018-2023
- MS4 Annual Report -2017-2018
- MS4 Annual Report -2016-2017
- MS4 Annual Report -2015-2016
- MS4 Annual Report - 2014-2015 (rev. 02/16/2016)
- MS4 Annual Report -2013-2014
If you have questions or comments regarding our MS4 program plan, please email us or call the Stormwater/E&S/MS4 Hotline at 540.213.6517.