Library cards are free for anyone who lives in the cities of Staunton, Buena Vista, Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, Lexington, and Waynesboro; or the following counties: Albemarle, Augusta, Bath, Greene, Highland, Louisa, Nelson, Rockbridge, and Rockingham. Employees of the City of Staunton and the Staunton City Schools may have a card regardless of where they live. Augusta County and Waynesboro Library cards may be used at the Staunton Public Library, and current cardholders do not need to re-register.
To register, you must have picture ID showing your current address. If you are under 12, you must also have your parent or guardian present. Valid ID includes:
- Driver's License or DMV address card
- Printed check with current address in one of the above cities or counties
- Deed, bill of sale, rental contract, or lease with address
- College picture ID if student
- ID with current address + picture ID without address
- Utility bill with address + picture ID
A patron without acceptable ID may register as a Temporary borrower (2 item limit) until address can be verified.
- You may sign up on our Online Borrower Registration page. This is a temporary card. Please visit the library with a photo I.D. within 7 days to obtain your permanent card.
Most materials can be checked out for 3 weeks and renewed 3 times. There is a 1 week grace period following the due date when you may return materials without a fine. If you return materials more than 1 week late, you will be fined for the entire overdue period. Exceptions to the 3 weeks are:
- Adult Basic Education Materials - 3 months
- Art Prints - 6 months, limit of 3
- Audiobooks - 3 weeks, limit 15. Includes Books on CD, Books on MP3-CD, Playaways, and Book & CD Kits
- Books on Reserve - 3 weeks, no renewal
- DVDs - 1 week, limit 10 (2 day grace period)
- Blu-Ray Discs – 1 week, limit 5
- Nature Backpacks and Playaway Launchpads – 2 weeks, limit of 1
After Library hours, you may return materials, except puppets, Nature Backpacks, Playaway Launchpads and Rosetta Stone materials, in the outdoor book drops.
Effective July 1, 2020, borrowers will not be charged overdue fines for Valley Libraries locations in Augusta County, Staunton, and Waynesboro and existing overdue fines will be waived. The three Valley Libraries are thrilled to remove this barrier to our resources and to provide more equitable library access to everyone in our communities.
Visit our Fine Free FAQ page for more information.
You are responsible for all items checked out on your card and any fees incurred no matter who uses your card.
- Patrons are responsible for everything checked out on their cards. If a patron’s card is lost or stolen, they must notify the library immediately. Replacement cards are free, but patrons need to present photo identification to receive a new card.
If you lose a Library item, you are responsible for reimbursing the Library for the cost of that item. The cost of items 60 days overdue will be automatically placed on your Library account. No refunds will be given.
If an item is damaged (torn, chewed, water damaged, etc.) while it is checked out to you, you are responsible for reimbursing the Library for that item. Please return damaged items to the circulation desk in person (don’t leave them in the book drop) and identify the damage for the staff. Only new, exact editions of damaged items may be considered instead of paying the replacement cost.
The Library accepts cash or checks. We are unable to accept credit card payments at this time.