- Ilia Desjardins , Reader Advisor, TBC Supervisor
- Elaine Cronin, Reader Advisor
Talking Book Center, Inc. Board of Directors
- Koressa Malcolm, President (Highland County)
- Ruth Edwards, Vice-President (Staunton)
- Paula Hoal, Secretary (Staunton)
- Daniel Swift, Treasurer (Staunton Public Library Advisory Board representative)
- Sarah Skrobis (Staunton Public Library Director)
- Alisa Cummings (Rockbridge Regional Library)
- Margaret Bailey (Buena Vista)
- Mike Thelk (Virginia Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired)
- Phyllis Campbell (Staunton)
- Marian Hackney (Augusta County)
- JH Cline (Staunton)
- Mary Stephenson (Highland County)
- Margaret Ralston (Highland County)
- Elzena Anderson (Waynesboro Public Library)
- Daza Craig (Augusta County Library)
- Catherine Bacik (DBVI- Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired)
Board Meeting Minutes
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- June 20, 2018 (rescheduled from May)
- April 2018
- March 2018
- March 13, 2018 (special meeting)
- February 2018
- January 2018
How We Work
All equipment and services, including the mailing of materials, are free to eligible users, due to support from many public and private sources.
The Talking Book Center at the Staunton Public Library, as a sub-regional library of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS), receives all of the reading material and machines free of charge, as well as free mailing privileges.
The City of Staunton provides space for the Center’s office and collection on the second floor of the Staunton Public Library. Local governments in the counties of Augusta, Bath, Highland, and Rockbridge and the cities of Buena Vista, Lexington, and Waynesboro make annual allocations. The United Way of Rockbridge and the United Way of Greater Augusta are also long-time supporters.
Other support comes from Friends of the Library groups, Lions' Clubs and other local service agencies, as well as individual donors. Patrons who can afford to contribute are also generous supporters.
To receive service from the Staunton Talking Book Center individuals must reside in Augusta County, Bath County, Highland County, Rockbridge County, City of Buena Vista, City of Lexington, City of Staunton, or City of Waynesboro AND have one of the following qualifying conditions:
- BLINDNESS: Blind persons whose visual acuity, as determined by competent authority, is
20/200 or less in the better eye with correcting lenses, or whose widest diameter of visual
field subtends an angular distance no greater than 20 degrees.
- VISUAL IMPAIRMENT: Persons whose visual disability, with correction and regardless of optical measurement, is certified by competent authority as preventing the reading of standard printed material.
- PHYSICAL DISABILITY: Persons certified by competent authority as unable to read or unable to use standard printed material as a result of physical limitations.
- READING DISABILITY: Persons certified by competent authority as having a reading disability resulting from organic dysfunction and of sufficient severity to prevent their reading printed material in a normal manner.
To receive materials through the Talking Book Service, complete the appropriate application and registration below: