COVID-19 Parks and Recreation Procedures
- The City of Staunton announces the reopening of City Hall and the Irene Givens Administration Building to the public on Monday, July 13. The city is ready to cautiously resume in-person services in these two city facilities with safety restrictions and limitations in place, consistent with guidance issued by the federal and state governments.
- Under the Phase 3 guidelines, on July 1 Staunton will reopen the Gypsy Hill gym, Gypsy Hill garden center, athletic fields (for league play), Golf Course locker room (including restrooms), Booker T. Washington Community Center, and public bathrooms in city parks. Patrons are strongly encouraged to review the detailed use guidelines before visiting any reopened city facilities. Guidelines will also be posted at each facility. Read Press Release.
- Under the Phase 2 guidelines, Staunton will reopen playgrounds, the skate park, basketball courts and baseball, soccer and softball fields (for practices only with groups no larger than 50 persons including both participants and spectators) beginning Friday morning, June 5. Patrons are strongly encouraged to review the detailed use guidelines before visiting any reopened city facilities. Guidelines will also be posted at each facility. Read press release
- The Gypsy Hill Park and Montgomery Hall Park pools will not open for the summer 2020 season.
- The Camp Staunton summer camp program is cancelled for the summer. Refunds will be issued to all registrants.
- The city will reopen tennis courts and pickleball courts in city parks as of Saturday, May 23. Guidelines for safe and appropriate use of the courts are posted on Staunton’s website and will be prominently displayed at all locations, emphasizing social distancing and sanitizing/disinfecting practices. While pickleball and tennis players are warmly welcomed to use the courts, there is to be no congregating or gathering on the courts and patrons are encouraged to depart immediately following play.
- The City of Staunton is reopening the Gypsy Hill Golf Course on Saturday, May 23, 2020. Please visit the golf page or view announcement details.
- Message from Director Chris Tuttle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sxHgkpmtHQ&feature=youtu.be
- City parks remain open and users are required to use stringent physical distancing measures.
See the City of Staunton's most recent update on COVID-19.
Residents are also encouraged to read this statement from the National Recreation and Parks Association on using parks while maintaining social distancing.
For more information about the COVID-19 virus visit https://www.coronavirus.gov/
Gypsy Hill Park is a sprawling 214-acre multi-use recreational destination located in the heart of Staunton at the intersection of Churchville Avenue (Route 250) and Thornrose Avenue.
The 1.3-mile circular roadway, Constitution Drive, runs through the center of the Park and is a designated play street suitable for walking, jogging, cycling and rollerblading. Covered pavilions with modest outdoor cooking facilities and picnic tables are available on a non-reservation basis.
Park Address: 600 Churchville Ave, Staunton, VA 24401 Park Hours: 4 a.m. – 11 p m.
Contact Us: 540.332.3945
- Gypsy Express mini train
- Action skate park
- Dog park
- Fishing at Lake Tams
- Golf course
- Community pool
- Recycling center
- Ted Bosiack Field at John Moxie Memorial Stadium
- Staunton Memorial Stadium
- Picnic shelters
- Grills and picnic tables
- Baseball fields
- Basketball courts
- Fitness station
- Tennis courts
- Volleyball courts
- Duck pond
- Seasonal police patrol
- Historical monuments
- Garden center