COVID-19 Parks and Recreation Procedures
All programs, activities and events conducted in facilities managed by Staunton Parks and Recreation are suspended until further notice. City parks remain open for use by individuals.
- The City of Staunton announces the reopening of City Hall and the Irene Givens Administration Building to the public on Monday, July 13. The city is ready to cautiously resume in-person services in these two city facilities with safety restrictions and limitations in place, consistent with guidance issued by the federal and state governments.
- Under the Phase 3 guidelines, on July 1 Staunton will reopen the Gypsy Hill gym, Gypsy Hill garden center, athletic fields (for league play), Golf Course locker room (including restrooms), Booker T. Washington Community Center, and public bathrooms in city parks. Patrons are strongly encouraged to review the detailed use guidelines before visiting any reopened city facilities. Guidelines will also be posted at each facility. Read Press Release.
- Under the Phase 2 guidelines, Staunton will reopen playgrounds, the skate park, basketball courts and baseball, soccer and softball fields (for practices only with groups no larger than 50 persons including both participants and spectators) beginning Friday morning, June 5. Patrons are strongly encouraged to review the detailed use guidelines before visiting any reopened city facilities. Guidelines will also be posted at each facility. Read press release
- The Gypsy Hill Park and Montgomery Hall Park pools will not open for the summer 2020 season.
- The Camp Staunton summer camp program is cancelled for the summer. Refunds will be issued to all registrants.
- The city will reopen tennis courts and pickleball courts in city parks as of Saturday, May 23. Guidelines for safe and appropriate use of the courts are posted on Staunton’s website and will be prominently displayed at all locations, emphasizing social distancing and sanitizing/disinfecting practices. While pickleball and tennis players are warmly welcomed to use the courts, there is to be no congregating or gathering on the courts and patrons are encouraged to depart immediately following play.
- The City of Staunton is reopening the Gypsy Hill Golf Course on Saturday, May 23, 2020. Please visit the golf page or view announcement details.
- Message from Director Chris Tuttle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sxHgkpmtHQ&feature=youtu.be
- City parks remain open and users are required to use stringent physical distancing measures.
See the City of Staunton's most recent update on COVID-19.
Residents are also encouraged to read this statement from the National Recreation and Parks Association on using parks while maintaining social distancing.
For more information about the COVID-19 virus visit https://www.coronavirus.gov/
Montgomery Hall Park is located just south of Stuart Street off Montgomery Avenue in the southwest portion of the City, Montgomery Hall Park's 148 acres include rolling hills, quiet woodlands, sports fields, playgrounds, picnic shelters, trails, and a public swimming pool. The Department of Parks & Recreation has its offices there. The soccer fields can be accessed by turning left after entering the second park entrance and proceeding towards the picnic area. About halfway there, the road curves to the right and the fields will be visible to the left.
Park Address: 1000 Montgomery Ave, Staunton, VA 24401 Park Hours: 4 a.m. – 11 p.m.
Contact Us: 540.332.3945
- Barbecuing areas
- Softball fields
- Basketball courts
- Disc golf course
- Picnic shelters*
- Nature hiking trails
- Mountain bike trails
- NatureRidge natural playground
- Soccer fields
- Tennis courts
- Pickleball courts
- Community pool
- Montgomery Hall (available to rent)
*Policy for the Hilltop Picnic Shelter
The picnic shelters at the top of the hill are available for public use on a first- come, first served basis. However, if you wish to use the shelters after 8:30 p.m., you must ask for a permit. Permits are available at the Irene Givens Administration Building in the park weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is no charge.
Irene Givens Administration Building - Parks and Recreation Offices
P.O. Box 58
Staunton, VA 24401-0058