COVID-19 Parks and Recreation Procedures
Golf Course to Reopen Saturday May 23, 2020
Specific physical distancing guidelines and safety protocols have been finalized by the city’s Parks and Recreation Department and are provided below:
- Maintain at least 6-foot distancing at all times
- Tee times assigned by the pro shop at 10-minute intervals
- Credit card payment only
- One customer at a time in the pro shop
- Handle your own equipment at all times
- One person per cart, unless golfing with a family member
- Bring from home and frequently use anti-bacterial wipes and hand sanitizer before, during and after play
- No ball washers or water coolers are available
- Under the Phase 3 guidelines, on July 1 Staunton will reopen the Golf Course locker room (including restrooms)
- No congregating or gathering on the course
- Proceed to your car and depart immediately after play
Stay up-to-date with the city throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond by signing up for our e-notification list. City Announcements will get you all information regarding COVID-19 as it is released.
The City maintains an 18-hole, par 71 municipal golf course in Gypsy Hill Park that is open to members as well as nonmembers year round. The course boasts the most affordable rates in the Shenandoah Valley.
Facilities include a golf pavilion, a fully stocked golf shop, cart rentals, private golf lessons, instructional clinics in the summer and a full tournament schedule.
2020 Golf Tournament Schedule
- Blue tees: 5,899
- White tees: 5,587
- Red tees: 4,436
- Gold tees: 4,750 (for seniors)
Visitors can play at the Gypsy Hill golf course by paying the following fees:
- 18 holes with cart: $25
- 18 holes after 11 a.m.: $20
- 9 holes with cart: $18
- Walking 18 holes: $10
- Walking 9 holes: $8
- Regular Membership: $450
- Senior Membership: $400
- Family Membership: $850
- Junior (12-17 yrs): $150
- Youth (under 12): $50
- Couple: $750
Wes Allred is the pro at Gypsy Hill Golf Club. In August of 1997, he lowered the course record to 61. The 10-under-par performance featured 10 birdies and no bogeys, playing from the blue tees. The previous record of 63 was set in 1975 by N. L. Deaver, playing from the white tees.
Golf Pro Lesson Rates
- Adult one-hour lesson: $40
- Senior one-hour lesson: $30
- Junior one-hour lesson: $20
Individual golf lessons by appointment only.