Every five years, the City reviews land use and transportation and sets general priorities for future land use and transportation for years to come. The review is conducted by a citizen advisory committee.
In addition to the online copy, hard copies of the current Comprehensive Plan are available on the third floor of City Hall in the Community Development Department and at the Staunton Public Library.
Specifically, the review process:
- Serves as a guide to development
- Surveys both the locality’s assets and challenges
- Prepares the community for future changes in population size, employment base, environmental quality, and the demand for public services and utilities
- Identifies citizen concerns, needs, and aspirations
- Establishes clear land use goals for the future
- Outlines strategies or recommendations for accomplishing future goal
That completed assessment becomes the City’s Comprehensive Plan, a long-range blueprint for development that informs decisions made by the Community Development Department, and advises the City’s governing body.