Welcome to the Queen City!
The dynamic City of Staunton is located at the crossroads of Interstates 81 and 64 in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley. With a population of more than 24,000, Staunton boasts a laid-back, welcoming atmosphere signature of a small town, but also offers one-of-a-kind cultural amenities that you're more likely to find in a larger, metropolitan area.
With a relatively low cost of living and close proximity to the Virginia cities of Waynesboro (15 mi), Harrisonburg (29 mi), Charlottesville (40 mi), Richmond (108 mi) and even Washington, D.C. (157 mi), Staunton is the ideal place to visit or call home. Consider this:
- Affordable housing with the average home price in Staunton a fraction of those in major cities such as Washington, D.C, Philadelphia, or New York City
- A wide range of healthcare, education, and cultural amenities, such as the American Shakespeare Center
- Beautiful parks, a municipal golf course, nearby hiking and biking trails, mountain views and 2,000 acres of protected open space
- A choice of two airports (Shenandoah Valley (SHD) and Charlottesville (CHO)) within a 45-minute drive that offer commercial service, easy parking, and convenient connections to international airports
- Restaurants at all price points, ranging from artisanal pizza to fine dining, from sunny cafes to home-style Southern cooking
Staunton was named one of the best small towns in America by Smithsonian magazine, one of the great small towns near D.C. by Washingtonian, and one of America’s greatest main streets by Travel & Leisure.
The Staunton Downtown Development Association—a nationally accredited Main Street program—works in tandem with the City to enhance downtown Staunton’s economic environment as a center of commerce while maintaining the character and integrity of the city’s Central Business District. This non-profit volunteer-based association receives some of its funding from the City. SDDA has been serving the Staunton since 1995.